.
.

Atienza urges for continuation of ballot revision

from NAMFREL Election Monitor Vol.2, No.16

.
Losing Manila mayoralty candidate Lito Atienza asked the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) to continue revising more ballots in connection with the protest he filed against incumbent mayor Alfredo Lim. Atienza, through his counsel Romulo Macalintal, said that the initial revisions done earlier this year on contested ballots from 200 precincts yielded substantial findings for them to urge the COMELEC to continue with the revision of the remaining 1,221 precincts.

Atienza said that some irregularities were enumerated in their findings after the revision of the 20 percent pilot precincts, and this strongly indicates that more incidents of irregularities could be revealed once the remaining 80 per cent of the ballots are subjected to revisions. He cited one precinct where all 614 ballots were not signed by the chairman of the Board of Election Tellers (BET) as required by law. In three barangays in Manila
(Barangays 125, 198 and 796), the signatures on the ballots did not match the specimen signatures of the chairman or any member of the BET. These were some of the alleged irregularities in local election for Mayor of Manila. In March 2011, the COMELEC granted the petition of Atienza to manually revise the ballots from 200 precincts.

Almost two months after the revision, Mayor Alfredo Lim was proclaimed winner.

(Various news sources)
.
 
 
 
.
.
.
 
 
 
  Go to MOBILE SITE